Another drafts queue snippet...
It's internal family business I was writing about which really is not for public consumption.
So, here's the thing I realized...
When your parents are around, they don't let you pull shit on your siblings. At least the good parents do. They keep you in line and quash all that ridiculous bullshit that is endemic in families.
I'm an only child with a weird situation in that I have a half sibling and then I have someone who I consider a brother of sorts because he was raised by my douche of an old man.
Anyway, good parents really keep you in your place.
I had particular members of my family, of that older generation that when they were alive quashed a lot of the bullshit that would go on.
See, the really great thing about them... the amazing thing actually is that that generation understood how important it is to stick together. More than anything else your strength is in your family. You succeed or you fail depending on how strong your family ties are.
To some that may sound very, very simplistic but it's a truism.
Italians... we are some fucked up people let me tell you.
Especially the more each generation moves away from that immigrant experience.
You see it in the Hispanic immigrants, that relying on each other but as different ethnic groups become ‘Americanized’ they forget how strong they are as a unit.
My family is that way unfortunately. Things that the parents wouldn't let happen just means that siblings allow all that repressed animosity explode after a parent’s death. I’ve seen it a couple of times now and it’s really sad.
Then again, maybe that’s the lesson here... being American means being cutthroat. Makes you wonder.
Spent.Man, what the fuck was I thinking?!?!
You know I’d really like to write something entertaining. I’d like to point towards something that would generate a laugh or two but truthfully, it has been just another long day. A long day filled with a lot of big personalities and much drama.
#### - Doesn’t like $$$$ to the point she sued him for slander and defamation of character and then settled out of court. Also feels compelled to be the center of attention and must be catered to in order to elevate her sense of self worth. Anyone choosing not to cater to her is immediately determined to be an enemy of the state. Suffers from a specific malady which may have a psychological basis.
##### - ####'s husband who while a bit unorthodox is very much a simple man with simple tastes. Quite happy to putter away with any number of projects, enjoys the outdoors and working with his hands. A direct person who lacks guile and simply wants to be treated well.
It's internal family business I was writing about which really is not for public consumption.
So, here's the thing I realized...
When your parents are around, they don't let you pull shit on your siblings. At least the good parents do. They keep you in line and quash all that ridiculous bullshit that is endemic in families.
I'm an only child with a weird situation in that I have a half sibling and then I have someone who I consider a brother of sorts because he was raised by my douche of an old man.
Anyway, good parents really keep you in your place.
I had particular members of my family, of that older generation that when they were alive quashed a lot of the bullshit that would go on.
See, the really great thing about them... the amazing thing actually is that that generation understood how important it is to stick together. More than anything else your strength is in your family. You succeed or you fail depending on how strong your family ties are.
To some that may sound very, very simplistic but it's a truism.
Italians... we are some fucked up people let me tell you.
Especially the more each generation moves away from that immigrant experience.
You see it in the Hispanic immigrants, that relying on each other but as different ethnic groups become ‘Americanized’ they forget how strong they are as a unit.
My family is that way unfortunately. Things that the parents wouldn't let happen just means that siblings allow all that repressed animosity explode after a parent’s death. I’ve seen it a couple of times now and it’s really sad.
Then again, maybe that’s the lesson here... being American means being cutthroat. Makes you wonder.
No comments:
Post a Comment